Skip to main content

sound sound sound

https://zhixuanlyu.photo.blog/2020/02/18/sound-sound-sound/

I'd like you to listen to the piece first 👉  Soundcloud link

When I heard about the prompt, I thought about a story I read long ago. A famous Chinese MC told the interviewer that he enjoys listening to "sounds", like the sound of nature, ambient sound, and languages. He once had a recorder in his pocket and recorded his whole day. A younger colleague tokes his advice and did the same thing. After he went back and listened to his recording, he cried. I didn't understand the exact reason why, but I guess it is that he was able to "see" his whole day in an objective way, feel how is his day has really been, and notice those sounds he has never focused on before. This story has long been stored at the back of my head and changing the way I think about sound. So, I wanted to record things in an unconscious way. I toke my phone in a phone case with stripes and let it hang on my body in the air. I went to lunch, went to dinner and went to paint and went to wash.

After the first few recordings, I thought the sounds are pretty bad since the phone is not professional enough to only record things I wanted to record. So, I went back and recorded a few more scenarios, then tried to cut out the informational pieces and arrange them chronologically as they would have happened in one day. There are sounds like me cleaning my brushes, brushing my teeth, and stirring eggs...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project 2

Not Hungry Picnic Girl Check out my photos on Flicker→ Not Hungry Picnic Girl                     In this project, I toke all the photos by iPhone 8. Echoing the mass photo discussed in the last chapter of Rexer's book, I decided to do a challenge with taking pictures with my phone.  The idea is also inspired by a film called Tangerine , which is completely filmed by an iPhone (even older version than mine). I was surprised and very interested by the idea when I first heard about it. It challenges the current notion in film industry or even photography that in order to make a good work, a good equipment is essential. And while watching this film, I didn't notice any severe decrement in image quality. The film does not look like a phone made film if not told so. But, there do have some shortcomings, such as a lack in dynamic range. To overcome these technical deficiencies on my phone, I decided to build a strong tone to cover th...

Street Photography

Rexer talked about multiple purposes of street photography. When cam era and film were first invented, people are only able to shoot empty streets and architectures since it is impossible to capture the second of a moving person. Atget’s work is an example. When technology has developed, the focus started to shift from historical to social, and now artists have turned back to the looking itself.   The reason that I like street photography is human interaction, the power of it to show a place through a personal lens, and the contingency of it. You don’t know who you are going to meet and what interactions would you find or have with others. Going to other places is fun for shooting; however, even if one is shooting the same city, the photography can be variant. Like what Cole has shown, photography is a powerful tool to fight for equality and justice. It focuses on the vulnerable people in society who are usually ignored. The photos help them to get resonance in society. This work, ...