I've really enjoyed reading Rexer's book and I think I'll continue to finish it during the summer. Every chapter I've read is intriguing and thoughtful. It questions me on my understanding of photography and has answered some of the questions I had, such as the "dichotomy" of form and emotional expression.
I was quite upset that we aren't able to use the darkroom this term. But I found taking pictures with digital camera is a different experience instead of a replacement of film camera. Film has its charm that every photo comes with a close connection with the photographer. Since it operates all manually and each frame is carefully token. Taking pictures with a film camera allows me to go back to the basics and really focus on the "taking" of a picture.
Corey Olsen, the artist I did my research on, is a lover of digital photography. Some of his works have the explicit characteristics of digital photos. They are very fine even on details and have the high image quality film can not achieve. It is another pleasure of looking at and taking digital photos. Although, sometimes a photo can carry the characteristic of the other medium, above are the most basic comparison of the two mediums.
(Borrowing from NM 340: If film belongs to the natural reproduction process described by Baudrillard, then digital photo might be the next level simulation of what we see.)
Anyway, I've learned a lot from Rexer's book about photography and it was so inspiring to see the works of other classmates. The journey of learning is endless, and I can't wait for the next journey.
(Unfortunately, I wasn't able to upload new photos for a while. I'll have to wait for the next roll of film to be finished. But here are my favorite photos so far.)







Comments
Post a Comment